Ask any of my friends or family and they will tell you that I have no love for soups. I can handle stew, and my mom’s chicken noodle, but most soups leave me feeling like I’ve had salt water instead of something yummy. This soup takes things to a whole new level for me.
My husband and I searched out several yummy sounding soups and took the best from them all to make this yummy treat. In fact, he started calling this his “family recipe”!
I really enjoyed making this soup, and I even had left overs the next day! Yum!
Delish Cheesy Bacon Potato Soup
- Ready In:
Ooey Gooey Cheesy and down right pleasing to your taste buds!
- 6 Medium Potatoes Diced
- 1.5 Medium Carrots Diced
- 3 Stalks Celery Diced
- 1 Small to Medium Onion Diced
- 8 Slices Bacon
- 8 Cups Low Sodium Chicken or Veggie Broth
- 4-6 Green Onions Chopped
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Half and Half
- 2-3 Tablespoons Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Parsley Chopped
- 1-2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1.5 Cups Shredded Cheese, we like mexican in it
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- Dash Chili Powder
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 1-2 Tablespoons EVOO
- Cook your favorite brand of bacon till crisp and set aside.
- Cube onion, carrot, celery and saute with EVOO in large pot for about 5 minutes. Be careful with your carrots. This soup can easily taste too "carroty".
- Add potatoes, salt and pepper, chili powder and garlic. Cook about 10 minutes.
- Add stock and 1/4 of the bacon. Once the soup is up to a gentle boil, let cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Whisk milk and flour together and pour into the soup, cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Remove 3/4 of the veggies and as much bacon as you can find, along with enough stock to cover, to another container. Use an immersion blender with the blade attachment to smooth out the chunks. Add back into the soup.
Note: If you do not have an immersion blender, use a kitchen blender, just make sure that it gives it all a good smooth texture.
Stir well and let cook another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the half and half as well as 1.25 cups of your favorite cheese. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring constantly. The cheese will stick.
- Add 3/4 of the parsley and continue simmering 2 more minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, adding a bit of the reserved cheese, crispy bacon, green onions, and a sprinkle of parsley to make it look all pretty.
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Soup
- Skill Level: Easy